The frustrations with applying for jobs

October 2014

Lately I have worried that I am spreading myself too thin. I am too busy that I don't have time for all the things I want to accomplish. I have been behind on diary writing, and still have one long, extensive blog entry that I have yet to finish and publish. I also have been trying to read a little of my book every day, and I have certainly not been succeeding. I have never been a good reader, but, as my bucket list says, one of my goals in life is to gain a love of reading. I'm a writer, not a reader. But I believe reading is a valuable skill I should acquire and there are just so many books I want to say I've read! And not to mention I have prolonged applying to Evergreen State College, which I wanted to get out of the way in September.... I barely keep up with my schoolwork!

And yet, I just wasted a bunch of time applying to something that would potentially take up a lot more of my time. I applied to work at Joann Fabric, only to get to the end and see the question that says "Are you able to show documentation proving that you are 18 years or older?" I was reticent to apply in the first place because, obviously, I'm worried I don't have time, but also I didn't know if this was a professional type job or an after-school type job. I even called the store to ask what type it is, and she just said cashier and things. So I went ahead and dedicated myself to applying just to say I did. Why not? I was driving home from the college yesterday and nearly drove by Joann Fabrics before I pulled into the parking lot on a limb. When gathering paper stack collections and glitter adhesive paper to use for my scholarship notebook, I saw the notice on the door that read "now hiring." I got really excited! I wasn't going to let that excitement go to waste, now was I?

I have applied to a few other places but my schedule has never lined up with them. Such was the case for Adagios (a local coffee shop), Dungeness Valley Creamery (a raw milk dairy farm) and Oak Table Cafe (a from-scratch breakfast and lunch restaurant). Oak Table said they need people for weekends and they would only hire me if I was free all weekend. But I have Fellowship on Sunday, and I've been working there for three and a half years and really consider myself a Unitarian Universalist now. (I've worked as a paid childcare worker since I was 14 at the Olympic Unitarian Universalist Fellowship every Sunday). Going there really means a lot to me and I will not sell out for a different, more formal job. I still get my $60 a month from that, and I guess I will have to make do with that as long as I am this busy.

I concluded that I simply don't have the time for a real job right now. Applying to Joann Fabric was certainly one of those out-on-a-limb decisions, wasn't it now? My plan was to try and get a job at Nash's (an organic farm) I once school winds down. Prospects look good for that opportunity. I know Nash and his wife Patty, and they are family friends with my dad. I have been attending the educational presentations on GMOs held at the old barn building next to their farm store and have stuck up conversations with them while I was there, and they seem to like me and take me seriously. Patty even said "Oh, we need you to work for us!" half jokingly when I explained to her what I want to study in college. Nash said they need seasonals starting in June, which is perfect because that's when school gets out. I even suggested even a mere internship because at this point I don't care. I am so desperate for employers to want me. But Nash said they don't really do internships and they would rather just hire people, and I secretly said "yes!" in my head. So I don't expect to work for Joann but that's okay because I have plenty of other things with which to occupy my time.