A Tribute to Red Rooster Grocery

November 2014

I spent the better part of my morning today outlining Mary Jane's Farm magazines (yes, I do that. It helps me organize, understand and appreciate. Don't judge) after I did the Sisterhood Issues and Raising Jane Blog yesterday. Burying myself in the Mary Jane Lifestyle for a few hours helps me gain a renewed appreciation for life and puts me in a good mood.

By the time afternoon rolled around, I was feeling serene and peaceful. I walked to Pan d'Amore, a small local bakery that's run by a cute little old man who makes you feel like you walked into the 1940s when you walk into the two-by-four of a store. I was in the mood for something carb-y and sweet, like a soft chocolate cookie. But I saw something else: thick pizza, with artichoke hearts, whole olives, pesto, and I think sun-dried tomatoes. I asked if I could have just one half of a square, and the cute old man said "we don't usually do that, but I'll do that for you." Then I ate it outside of Hurricane Coffee, the local coffee shop on the other side of the street. I saw a huge, intimidating red truck drive by that had rows of Coca-Cola bottles printed on the side. I cringed at the sight.

Then I realized I never satisfied my cookie craving, so I walked over to Red Rooster Grocery. I discovered this little shop that's tucked behind a scrapbooking shop downtown a few years ago and fell in love with it. I have patronized this organic food shop ever since. In fact, last year when I didn't have any friends to sit with at lunch I would drive down the road to Red Rooster Grocery alone and buy lunch and eat in my car. It was just me, my silver Camry, and my vegan sandwich made with sprouted-grain bread. Now my car smells like junior year: loneliness, the salads and dried fruit my mom packed in my lunch, and soups and chocolate from Red Rooster Grocery. I go to Red Rooster at least once a week; after school, during lunch, when I'm downtown. It is conveniently right down the road from the high school. I have brought so many people there who never knew it existed. I have had many conversations with the husband-and-wife owners and their employees who know me by name.

But when I bought my cookie (and peanut butter cup... I really wanted chocolate in that moment. Don't judge.) the woman asked me if I was on their email list, and I said no. She looked sad and mournful. She said she had some news. They are closing the store soon. Like, closing forever. They are shutting down. They won't be in business anymore. I asked why, and she said "lots of reasons." The news hit me like the news that someone had died. It was so sudden. This little store had been my companion in the midst of solitude. She and the man who was ringing me up thanked me multiple times for my patronage over the years, and I thanked them back.

This made me so frustrated. Earlier that day I had seen a Coca-Cola truck transporting hundreds of bottles of the soda. We live in a world where soda companies are so powerful, and adorable organic groceries cannot stay open?? Reading Mary Jane's Farm so much lately has committed me to the special, unique things in life, like small businesses. If anyone happens to come across this little corner of the internet and has read this far, I want them to walk away from this and go give love, appreciation, patronage and support for your local merchants, especially organic farmers. In honor of Red Rooster Grocery, I have vowed to only patronize small enterprises from now on. I will continue to patronize Pan d'Amore, Rainshadow Coffee around the corner, Good to Go Grocery in Port Angeles, and Nash's Farm Store. They need me now more than ever. I will promise to make all of my purchases meaningful. I think I shall write the owners a handwritten letter disclosing my appreciation and best wishes.