Love you, Grandma!

December 2014

Every once in a while I will dedicate a post to an inspirational person in my life. I can't think of a more nurturing person than my mother's stepmother, Diane. I have always loved that lady--she is upbeat and comedic yet intelligent and talented. Not to mention accomplished; she has a PhD and taught as a professor of classic literature at Western Washington University before she retired. She frequently traveled to Greece to teach abroad. She didn't stray from the domestic arts: she is a skilled quilter. In fact, within the last few years she has gotten a whole farm of animals for her backyard: chickens, geese, dogs, cats, oh, and rabbits. Crate after crate of rabbits. She sheers the rabbits and sheep for their wool and then spins it into yarn, which she uses to knit clothing accessories. For Christmas she sent my family four scarves.

My family visited her in Bellingham today. It seems like she always has something special to give us when we come. She doesn't plan it--it's not like a wrapped gift or anything--but as conversation evolves, we are brought to something to which Grandma says "why don't you take this home with you? I don't need it anymore! Take it, it's not a problem." She gave my sister an adjustable dress form and a how-to sew book, which delighted her so much because Hilary wants to be a fashion designer when she grows up and is determined to make her Senior Ball dress to wear in two years from now. For my brother she gave a DVD copy of The Comedy of Errors by Shakespeare because he's learning about that play in his sixth-grade drama class and is quite passionate about it (which is rare for Erik). And to me, a spindle, some fresh wool, and a how-to book called "Respect the Spindle." XD I attempted to spin yarn in the car half the way home!

This spring break I'm going to come back and spend quality time with Diane. There's so much I want to learn from her! I not only want to learn to spin my own yarn, but also to sheer wool, sew, knit, and quilt. (Next year I want to join the Fiber Arts Club at Evergreen!) I also want to help her take care of all her animals and help her in her garden. Being a writer, words enchant me, so naturally I want to learn about Latin and language. We could cook delicious, fresh healthy food and explore Bellingham together. I need to introduce her to Mary Jane's Farm because she reminds me so much of it. And I would art journal and write a lot in this blog, maybe even post some pictures, which I've never done!