My friend Sara

December 2014

I have a friend who graduated from Sequim High School last year named Sara. She is such an inspirational lady with an uplifting aura and lovely vibe. She's the type of person who calls you "darling" and ends an email with "hugs, from Sara." She founded the Gay-Straight Alliance at Sequim High School, knits her own clothes, did theater, is building a Tiny House out of shipping pallets, and is half black. She reminds me so much of Joanne from Rent. Which is why it is perfect that she went to The Evergreen State College. XD

I just needed to get in touch with her so I can hear all about Evergreen, so she can give me her advise and wisdom. She's in the Fiber Arts Club and the Black Student Union there. She spoke at the Sequim High School Alumni Lunch the other day and today had lunch with her today at my favorite restaurant, Nourish. She is such an incredible girl! I admire and look up to her so much. She is just so confident and present.

When I was a freshman and she was a sophomore, we had geometry class together and we both were cast in A Midsummer Night's Dream by Shakespeare (I played Mustardseed and she was my fairy queen, Titania). One day she said I should come over to her house sometime so we could hang out. I'm embarrassed to say that we never did. If the truth be told, I didn't want to. I was a shy, introverted little fourteen-year-old who found that kind of stuff intimidating and pressuring. Now, I am so glad I have connected with Sara again! I am always looking for a networking opportunity, a mentor, an inspiration, a like-minded friend... and boy is Sara a gold mine!

A year ago she saw me in school and invited me to a Winter Solstice celebration. I didn't go, but I should have. Little did I know that I would choose the Solstice this year as my main holiday, a secular alternative to Christmas! Sara was always one step ahead.

Today I found out, not only is she building a Tiny House (http://nymphofwildwood.wordpress.com/), but she is studying sustainable architecture! I really want to build a Tiny House in the next few years. My plan right now is to live in a dormitory for my first year of college, an on-campus apartment for my second, and then by my third year I would have my Tiny House built and habitable. And this is far in the future, but I have fantasized about hiring someone with whom I went to college to build my dream family house, specifically specializing in eco-friendly design. Indeed, the creation of a building is such an intimate and special thing that it requires a lot of thought and attention. I was so excited when she told me she was building a Tiny House!! Small world. She said she wants to work on it more this summer, and I offered to help her with the construction. She will be such a wonderful resource for learning and diving into the world of Tiny Houses! Starting a Tiny House project is extremely overwhelming, so I need all the help I can get. And Sara will be a BIG help; it's almost a miracle I found a friend so devoted to sustainable and alternative construction right when I needed it! I have another friend Lynley who is almost done with her Tiny House that she is building with her husband (http://agnewtinyhouse.blogspot.com/) and I visited the House to check it out, but now I'll have a full-on mentor to show me the ropes!