My Evergreen Dream

I used to believe that the universe has a force that either hates you or likes you.

All aspects of your life followed this swinging in and out, there was a rhythm, a yin and yang.

Now life has no meaning. I feel hopeless. All. The. Time.

Sometimes I get glimpses back to my old life, like today when I was reading my old blog from a year ago, and I feel the magic that life had. I don't know what happened.
I was positive, I could feel it: this is where I belong. This was going to be the best year of my life. I was feeling everything falling into place... Intuition.
Depression for no reason. So many things are going perfectly in my life, but I can't get psyched about it. I am sad all the time and I don't know why.
I recently lost my job with the Food Systems Working Group. Two years ago I would have taken that as a sign, that I got involved in the perfect opportunity right away, a dream come true... and then it not be what I thought it was going to be, not vibe with the work, and end up being fired. I would have taken that as a sign. That the universe hates me.
I have lost my passion. For anything. Over Winter Break I worked on my beautiful planner, but I felt like I was just going through the motions. I remember looking at the glorious binder and being like, I don't feel anything. This fat booklet is what I have been dreaming about and working for since last year, and yet it brings me no joy.

  1. Jacques and Tasha. I had sex with Jacques on the third day of being at Evergreen. As the school year progressed, he started dating my suitemate, Tasha. I would always see him in my suite and he and his friends regarded me with awkwardness and immaturity. I am the one-night hook-up, guys really want girls who they can be friends with. I don't know how to make friends. I guess some things never change. I think that's why I like pole dancing so much; it takes away having to talk; it lets you communicate with your body and movement... I much prefer that method of communication to actual talking. 
  2. Anthropocene. Everything seems so much smaller. Nothing has wonder.
  3. I miss my family. Which is understandable emotionally but not mentally. I thought I could manage grief of drastic change in a healthy way. I thought I was over the hump of the realization that my life is going to go through the biggest change it has ever gone through. 
  4. Turning it off, like with Mom. Emotional numbness.
  5. "College Hyper Speed." No familiarity, no home. The people I know I have only known for a short time and will only know for a short time more. Friends move around. I will live in this room for one year and move out, and then move out of my next apartment after one more year. I finally am a gypsy, but I don't like it. It is not romantic or empowering, it is uncertain and scary. 
  6. Sex, marijuana, alcohol, exposure to other "adult things." I have friends who are 25. I had a wine tasting unit in class in addition to drinking at dorm parties. I have slept with so many guys. EVERYONE at Evergreen smokes marijuana and/or psychedelics, for the record. There is a world of a difference between under and over eighteen. A year ago, my 23-year-old cheer coach was so high above me. She was professional, out of reach, distant... she was an adult. Now, I have friends who are older than her. I have slept with guys closer to her age than mine. I worked on a class project with a 26-year-old classmate. I'm in her peer group now. I'm an adult.
  7. I experimented with cannabis, and I have a hunch that it can explain why I am depressed and anxious all the time. 


Is my Evergreen Dream still alive? Can it still take place and be a reality? Perhaps if I think of myself as a gypsy, that romanticized idea of a young woman moving away by herself to follow her dreams.... I could be more at peace. Maybe if I remind myself more often what it was like to be that dreamy, ambitious, grateful, starry-eyed girl I was before coming here.